In November 2021 New Zealand hosted the APEC CEO Summit, one of Asia-Pacific’s premier business and government events. With a focus on collaboration, this virtual gathering of CEOs, business leaders, entrepreneurs, prime ministers, and presidents saw our region's most pressing issues and opportunities discussed.
Explore the summit's five themes and watch stories about the New Zealand businesses that are working on solutions to overcome some of APEC’s greatest challenges.
1. THE STATE OF THE WORLD WITH AND POST-COVID: economic recovery, trade and protectionism.
Lanaco – more than just a mask. Learn how sheep are protecting us from COVID-19.
Way Beyond – can leveraging the power of data help us feed more people, while protecting precious resources?
2. THE DIGITAL DISRUPTION OPPORTUNITY: digital transformation, technology and innovation, and the importance of digital equity.
FilmTech – Shotover/Dotterel – lights, camera, action. How New Zealand tech companies are changing the film industry from above.
3. THE PRIMACY OF TRUST: ESG (environmental, social, governance) – the next focus for business, and business as a force for good.
Kono – Kaitiakitanga, or guardianship, is the key to one New Zealand iwi's 500-year plan.
Ohmio – Could autonomous vehicles make our roads and communities safer?
Spring Sheep – Data may hold the secret to breeding sheep that emit less methane and produce more sustainable milk.
4. THE FUTURE OF ENERGY: renewable energy and energy transition including hydrogen.
Green Hydrogen – How New Zealand is leading the change on producing and exporting green hydrogen around the world. New Zealand Hydrogen Projects.
5. THE SUSTAINABILITY IMPERATIVE: sustainable growth, climate change, food sustainability and provenance.
Agrisea – Seaweed could hold the key to cleaning up agriculture runoff ad keeping heavy metals out of our oceans.
Comvita – A pioneer species, Månuka could be a sweet solution for boosting honey production while reversing deforestation.
Find out more about the APEC CEO Summit here.